A professional certification course for teams
UX Writing for Technical Writers
Bring priceless UX writing skills to technical writing. Level-up your team with a certificate in UX writing—and save more for every person you train.
Price: US $1000 per student
Train your technical writing team with big discounts
Are you managing a team of technical writers? Unite your team and get big discounts in the process. Get more info on training a group.
Team of 3 to 5?
Team of 6 to 20?
Team of 20 or more?
It’s time technical audiences got some UX writing love
Practice the craft
Learn best practices for user experience writing and content design to craft more usable products.
Master UX skills
Add user-centered writing to your already impressive skillset. Get ahead of the curve and get that promotion.
Learn UI writing
Learn best practices for buttons, alerts, error and success messages, forms, empty states, and more.
Flex your options
Add UX writing examples to your portfolio to stand out from the crowd. Double your options—work in either field.
What students are saying
Perfect for tech writers
- Add to your solid technical documentation foundation
- Learn user experience writing best practices and skills
- Broaden your content design expertise for docs
- Find out how to write UI text for common components
What the course provides
- Online exercises to practice and reinforce what you learn
- Full lifetime access to reference throughout your career journey
- Office hours to get questions answered by mentors
- Networking with other students on Facebook and Slack
- Certificate of proficiency upon successful completion of the final project and final exam
Dave has been obsessed with words for over ten years. During a brief stint as a junior UX developer, he found that he loved the UX part more than the developing part, so he took on a job as a technical writer. From there, he quickly discovered UX writing, and it was like the heavens opened up and doves descended from the sky offering him a path that combined all of his favorite things (UX and words). Now, he’s a Senior UX Writer at OutSystems.
Bobbie is the founder of the UX Content Collective and former head of UX content strategy and design teams for Google and Intuit. She began her writing career as a tech writer.
- Technical and UX writing compared
- How good UX affects documentation
- Technical UX writing principles
Strategies, best practices, and techniques
- Voice and tone for docs
- Use human-centered technical language
- Strategies for doc discovery and research
- Strategies for doc design and writing
- Strategies for reducing user error
UI component writing
- Best practices for component writing
- Writing guidance elements—tooltips & empty states
- Writing user actions—dialogs, CTAs & button text
- Writing effective communications—notifications, alerts & errors
- Writing user inputs—lists & forms
- A few extra bits and pieces
Create UX deliverables
- Create a style guide
- Test your text
Integrate design steps in your workflows
- UX workflow principles
- UX writing and usability testing
- Make the case for technical UX writing
Want to train your technical writing team?
Frequently asked questions
How long is the course? Is it self-paced?
Time estimates fall around 20-40 hours of study and practice work for this course depending on your speed. There are 5 units in the course. Each unit is broken down into a series of 3-6 lessons with practice quizzes and reviews along the way. To be certified, you must receive a passing score on the final project and final exam.
This course is designed to fit around your schedule; lessons are available on-demand at any time. There is no live instruction, so you’re free to study at your own pace.
Who is this course for? What are the prerequisites?
This course is made with technical writers in mind. If you’re a tech writer who’s interested in applying UX best practices to your work, this course is for you. If you’re a tech writer who is interested in moving into UX writing full-time, consider UX Writing Fundamentals.
- A computer with the latest version of Chrome
- A broadband internet connection
- Fluent English comprehension and writing proficiency
- Working technical writing knowledge
- A love for writing, tech, and good communication with humans
How does this course differ from UX Writing Fundamentals?
The UX Writing Fundamentals course is designed for writers who are new to working as part of a design team. Perfect for junior writers looking to make a switch, or writers transitioning from adjacent roles who want to take on UX writing full time.
UX Writing for Technical Writers takes your existing technical writing knowledge and builds on it. You’ll learn to apply UX writing best practices to your work as a tech writer plus how to write for UI components. Designed for writers who want to be competent in both disciplines.
Is there a professional certification upon course completion?
Yes! If you successfully complete the final project and exam, you’ll walk away with a certificate to showcase your new skills.
Why should I study with UX Content Collective?
Unlike other courses out there, our courses are developed by expert UX writers and managers from companies like Google, Intuit, MYOB, Charter Communications, Amazon, and more. Studying with the UX Content Collective will set you up to succeed at similar tech companies like Apple, Microsoft, Spotify, Shopify, and Netflix.
Already work in tech, but need to hone some world-class writing skills? Are you ready for a fun, creative, and lucrative job?
Come study with us! Our courses provide:
- A curriculum designed by professional UX writers from the world’s leading companies
- A solid, career-building foundation in user experience and design writing
- A Facebook group and a Slack Mentor group exclusively for students
- Practical, hands-on experience with the opportunity to finish a portfolio-ready project
- Personalized feedback from instructors on practice work and your final project
- More than just UX writing skills: the critical knowledge you need to succeed in a UX design team
Preview Lessons & Webinar
Get the first two lessons for free
Still curious? Check out the first two lessons of the UX Writing for Technical Writers, for free!